How to Maintain Line Balancing in Garments
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
Line balancing is known as the systematic arrangement of machines and allocation of operation and helper in a sewing line in such a way that smooth production can be possible with minimizing the idle time. In the garments industry, Line balancing is known allocation of sewing machines, according to the garments pattern and design. The line arrangement of sewing machine depends on what types of garments manufacture in sewing floor. Proper line balancing in an apparel industry may increase productivity.
How to Maintain Line Balancing in Garments:
In garments industry, organized arrangement of machinery and allocation of operation is a very important task for a production manager. Therefore, this issue is also important for the merchandising department in a garment industry. On sewing floor, line balancing should be maintained according to the sewing machines sequence. Proper line balancing in a sewing floor can be found with the help of work study and SMV calculation. This line balancing process can be change according to the garment style and design. Here given an example about basic T-shirt line balancing in the garment sewing floor.
Machine required for operation
|1||Right shoulder seam||4-needle feed of the arm machine|
|2||Neck binder||2-needle flatbed interlock machine|
|3||Left shoulder seam||4-needle feed of the arm machine|
|4||Bind sleeve opening||2-needle flatbed interlock machine|
|5||Sleeves seam||2-needle over lock machine|
|6||Sleeves attach||2-needle over lock machine|
|7||Cut and fold label||Cutting and folding machine|
|8||Attach label||1-needle lockstitch machine|
|9||Shoulder and neck bartack||Bartack machine|
|10||Bottom hem||1-needle 3-thread over lock machine|
Importance of Line Balancing:
1. Determine systematic work procedure which is important for smooth production.
2. It determines exact number of machine and operator in a line.
3. It helps to make ideal work plan.
4. It reduces cost of production.
5. It Helps to determine labor requirement in a line.
6. It helps to reduce production time.
7. It increases productivity.
8. It increases profitability.
9. It helps worker and helper to perform job in simple manner.
10. It reduces faults in finished goods.
11. It make easy to achieve target production.