Introduction of Work Study
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
Work study is the systematic and analytical study of work process and work method with the object of increasing efficiency, reducing cost and ensuring the best possible use of man, machine, material resources and time available. The prime aim of work study is to improve the productivity. The work study is divided by two ways. There are-
- Method Study
- Time Study
‘SREDDIM’ is the professional approach of work study. Work study is carried out according to the sequence of letter in ‘SREDDIM’ as follows-
S: Select: Select the job or process or operation to be studied.
R: Record: Record all relevant data about the job using suitable technique.
E: Examine: Examine the job critically.
D: Develop: Develop the best method for the job.
D: Define: Define the best method.
I: Install: Install the new method as a regular practice.
M: Maintain: Maintain the installed method by regular routine check.
Object of Work Study :
1. To obtain the optimum use of man, machine, and material.
2. To find out the best method and time required for each operation.
3. To standardize the time for each operation.
4. Optimum productivity.
5. To reduce cost (labor, overhead, material).
6. Establishment of fair task for everyone.
7. Improve quality.
8. Increase profitability.
9. Simplify the work.
10. Ensure less idea time.
11. Maintaining proper target.
12. Improve manpower efficiency at all the level.
13. To calculate SMV (Standard Minute Value).