Safety Problems and Remedies in Garments Industry
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
In the garments industries generally employ hundreds or thousands of workers. Most of the factories employ above thousands workers, but the greatest number of the employees in garment factories are female. Anyway, in apparel industry dangers come from different sides and most of the times from unidentified and unexpected directions. We all know that, workers are the most valuable properties for the successful running garments company. Therefore, safety guarding is an essential for the garment workers from risks, dangers, hazards, unfavorable environment, injuries, toxic agents, chemicals, fire, etc. Today I would like to discuss about the safety problems and remedies in the apparel industry.
Safety in the Garments Industry:
Now-a-days, to ensure Safeties for employees is the mandatory issue to comply. This is the necessary tasks in the administration of a garment industry to understand and predict to what sort of dangers or hazards workers are being shown to while acting their work. That will be wise decision to take proper step to prevent any problematic situation that may lead harm to an employee or employees. Here mention few common safety problems and their remedies in the garment industry are given below:
- Fire safety is the most important matter for garments safety. This hazard mainly happening from electrical short circuits, loose connections, other electrical hazards.
- Boiler is the essential element for garments dyeing. Sometime Danger happening from boiler.
- Cutting section is the most important section in the garment industry. Different knives are used in this section for cutting various parts of garments. Here, hazard occurring from band knife, straight knife cutting machines.
- Danger also occurring to the workers from anxiety, messy movement, rush etc.
- The garments Sewing section is important department. During garments sewing any hazard occurring from sewing machines. Therefore, workers should be used protective devices like as eye guard, needle guard, finger guard, pulley cover etc.
- In garments dyeing danger happening from chemicals, thinners, etc.
- In garments sewing floor, the common element is micro-dust. This dust formed by fabric cutting machines and over lock machine. Those dust is inhaled by the worker and contiguous labors and produce illness like asthma, allergy, TB, etc.
- In the work place fatigue is a common behavior of workers. Normally, employees who do their works standing or do that long time or repeat a labor all the time they are suffering from fatigue. This behaves of workers reduces efficiency of production. Fatigue is also a hazard in a garment industry.
- Another common hazard is unhygienic toilets and workplace. Those problems create mental and physical problem of workers.
- Danger also come from insufficient light at workplace, lack of friendly ventilation, high temperature variation and higher noise working place, etc.
Hence, if we realize above safety problems, then easily we can find out their remedies. Every garment industry should take some steps about this problem. The steps should be organized and plan wisely. Well known buyer also provides some safety rules and regulation for their manufacturers. All of that, I think awareness is the best remedies before safety.