How to Choose Needle Size in Garment
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
Normally a sewing needle consists a pointed tip with a long slender tool. The needle is the main part of the sewing process in the apparel industry without needle sewing process can’t imagine. Generally the needle size varies in fabric, nature, thickness, appearance, machine types, design, etc. There are two types of needle size appearance:
- Metric System (Nm).
- Singer System.
Most of the time needle size is changed by the manufacturers, but the metric system is the simplest and broadly used system for finding the needle size. The metric system is also denoted by Nm
1. Metric System (Nm):
- This process is most easy and very working method.
- Needle size is expressed by measuring the diameter of the middle of needle blade.
- The appearance is given below:
Needle size = (Blade dia in mm X 100) Nm
- As for example, if Blade dia is 0.8 mm, then:
Needle size = 0.8 mm X 100 = 80 Nm
2. Singer System:
- In case of singer system needle size is expressed through a number as like, 5,7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17.
- Needle system number more, needle coarser.
Relation between Metric and Singer System:
|Metric No.||Singer No.|