Different Types of Threads Finishing
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
Thread finishing is an essential matter in apparel industry. There are varieties of finishing materials which are applied on the sewing thread for smoothing the surface result in running at a higher speed during sewing of garments in the sewing machine. In this process special properties are gathered to the sewing threads. Today I want to discuss about the object of thread finishing, types of thread finishing and properties of lubricants those are used for thread finishing.
Object of Thread Finishing:
The objective of thread finishing are-
- To reduce friction between thread and needle/fabric;
- To reduce damage of synthetic thread with heat;
- To sewing easily and properly;
- To adjust special purposes;
- To reduce sewing thread breakage;
- Lubricant is one, among the finishing materials.
Properties of Lubricants:
Properties of lubricants used for thread finishing are as follows-
- Lubricants should not close the needle eye.
- Lubricant does not make spot on needle.
- It does not create difficulties during smooth running of the threads;
- It must reduce the friction between sewing machine and thread.
- It should not cause any harm at high temperature.
- It can be easily applied on threads.
- Comparatively, should be low cost.
- It should be available.
- In water proof fabric or garments, must not damage the water resistance power of threads.
- In flame proof fabrics, the lubricants applied on sewing threads, must not damage the flame reterdancy power of threads.
Types of Thread Finishing:
Various types of finishing are-
- Lubricant Finish
- Anti-mildew finish
- Water proof finish
- Flame retardant finish
- Root proof finish
1. Lubricant Finish:
Lubricants are used for sewing section during smooth running of the threads. Mainly those lubricants are reducing the friction between sewing machine and thread. Therefore, proper lubricants are selected for sewing operation in an apparel industry.
2. Anti-mildew and Root Proof Finish:
In warm and damp condition, mildew effect is found in the thread. Then anti mildew proof and root proof finishing is necessary. Anti-mildew effect is found by applying special finishing materials. This is a common finishing process in export oriented order in the apparel industry.
3. Water Proof Finish:
Water resistant finishes are applied to those threads which are used for water proof like rain coats. The water repellent finish must be fast to washing or dry cleaning. This process is essential for technical textile and there raw materials.
4. Flame Retardant Finish:
The flame retardant thread must be used for flame retardant garments. Threads will be flame repellent when special fibers or special chemical finishes are applied. Flame retardancy may be damaged because of using frequently washing of garments.
5. Root Proof Finish:
Mildew effect can create become the root effect of threads. Warm and damp condition is the main reason for this effect. Therefore, anti-root proof finishing is necessary for sewing threads. Especially cotton based threads must use anti-root proof finding before thread manufacturing.