S M Fijul Kabir (Mahin)
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
Lecturer, BGMEA University of Fashion & Technology
Every buyer always wants to deal with the right manufacturer for establishing a successful order. Therefore, the buyer needs to check some important parameter before placing an order to the manufacturer which is known as buyer inquiry. Buyer inquiry is a set of queries about finding a company profile. This profile includes with company location, capacity, product, types of product, machinery details, product price, terms and conditions etc.
How a Buyer Makes an Inquiry:
An international buyer generally collects information from the following sources
- Different embassies working his country.
- News media.
- Yellow page of the export promotion bureau.
- Own website of the company.
- Ministry of Commerce and industries.
- Foreign trade fair in his country.
- From other buyers, other resources persons like Merchandisers, Fashion Designers and Production people.
- Different websites of internet.
- By face book, twitter and other social media.
- By different types of training, get together, workshops ,etc
What are the Buyer Check Point:
Generally a buyer makes an inquiry as follows-
- First he/she checks the Company profile (The details about machines, products, workers, existing buyers, skills, reputation, bonded ware house, etc) of the factory.
- Previous records of works, rate of success.
- He/she checks compliance and Code of contact of the company with the labor law of the country.
- Safety measures of the workers, security procedure of the products.
- Proper authorization of the company from government of the country.
- Negotiating Bank Support.
- Facility of power supply and alternating power supply.
- Strong and weak points, etc
In the final round if buyer gets satisfaction above study then he/she sends an inquiry paper of 4 parts where he/she asks the supplier to give a price quotation for the asking products as per the described requirement attached there.
In the paper the following components are available-
- Shipment date and Quantity.
- Product details of fabrication.
- Size chart of the product manufacturing.
- Technical sheet for sewing instruction.
- Accessories and print/embroidery options.
- Payment terms of cost.
- Wash, lab test and other service requirement.
- Packing details and assortment (proportion of packing in each carton), etc.
After receiving the inquiry, the company makes a costing considering all the aspects and informs the buyer about the price of the asking product (which is called Price quotation). Sometimes the buyer makes a negotiation to reduce the price and makes confirmation to give the order for the asking product.