Introduction of Medical Textile
Noor Ahmed Raaz
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (CU)
Specialized in Apparel Manufacturing
A.M.C.S Textile Ltd (AEPZ)
Medical textile is one of the best innovative subjects of the technical textile sector. Medical textile also known as bio-medical textiles which is actually the mixture of textile technology and medical science. The main purpose of medical textile is improved human health and wellness. Major functions of medical textiles are health care, hygiene, new fiber technology and artificial medical textile products. Medical textile is very important for human health therefore this sector is fastest growing sector in the textile industry. Today I am going to discuss about biomedical textile.
Types of Fabric Used in Medical Textile:
Production Flow chart of Medical Textile:
The production process of medical textile is almost same as a normal textile process, but here medical properties embedded or sprayed on to product and applied special bio-chemical procedure then normal textile product process.
The production flow chart of medical textile is given below-
Properties of Medical textile:
Properties of medical textile as follows-
1. Medical textile must be non-toxic.
2. It should be non-allergenic.
3. It should be compatible with most living system.
4. It should be sterilized without imparting any change in physical and chemical characteristics.
5. If necessary it should be non-degradable.
6. If necessary it should be degradable.
7. It should be versatile in their physical form like, powder form, aqueous form, film, fiber, sponges etc.
8. It should be lightness, strength, elasticity, softness.
9. It should be fluid resistant or absorbent.
10. It should be bio receptive.
11. It should be high barrier of protection & permeability.
12. It should be anti-microbial and anti-bacteria.
13. It should be electrical or thermal conductivity.
14. It should be non-irritant, non- carcinogenic and durable.
15. It should be comfortable.
Uses of Medical Textile:
1. Medical textile mostly used for biological and medical functions.
2. Used for first aid, clinical, hygienic and healthcare.
3. Used for artificial tendon, braided, ligament, cartilage, skin, etc.
4. Used for elastic bandage, non-elastic bandage, high-support bandage, compression bandage, orthopedic bandage.